Monday, April 6, 2009

Healthy Children for Life – Creating Healthy Habits

Creating Healthy Habits

Last week I wrote about the importance of starting the day with a good, healthy breakfast. I hope some of you have incorporated my ideas and created a more healthful start to the day for your children. Be patient with them. Don’t expect them to jump on the health bandwagon if they are used to having sugary cereals. Habits take time to develop, but, as we all know, take much longer to break – know any smokers? The important thing to remember is that you are in charge. If you don’t buy the junk, they can’t eat it. And when your children tell you that you’re mean and they hate you (as mine have), just remember that you are doing this because you love them. You do, in fact, know more than they do.

So let’s talk about some other daily habits you can start to incorporate into your children’s life. One of the basic philosophies that I live by is the 80-20 rule. 80% of the time, I eat my fruit and veggies, exercise, drink my water, etc. 20% of the time, I have some small indulgences like red wine, an Easter cream egg, some Miss Vickies chips, etc. The latter can only be justified if the former is well in place. For example, when I make my girls’ lunches, they usually have a piece of fruit, baby carrots, multigrain bread with butter (they don’t like sandwiches), some ham or chicken and then a treat, like a cookie. They know that they are not allowed to have the cookie if they haven’t eaten the other healthy food first.

Another great habit is to always eat something good before something bad. For example, if my kids want to have some candy, they have to eat a piece of fruit first, or have some yogurt or cheese. This is a great habit for life because there are always going to be temptations out there, but if you are programmed to eat something healthy first, you will be less likely to grab that treat on its own. I have been doing this with my kids for so long now that they automatically ask “what do I have to eat first in order to have……?” or “if I eat an apple, can I have……..?”

Try just one bite. This is crucial to developing your children’s taste buds. I hear from parents all the time “my kid just hates vegetables”. Of course they do, because it takes time for them to become accustomed to the taste. But you must persist or they will never like them. I love Caesar salad so we have it 2 or 3 times a week. My youngest daughter used to think it was the grossest thing on the planet. However, every time I served it, I told her she had to have one bite. Soon she was having 3 bites, then 5. About 2 months ago I felt like the best mom on the planet when she came home from school and asked to have Caesar salad for her snack – Victory!! Don’t be afraid to use good quality dips, like Renee’s, or cheese sauce (made from real cheese, not processed cheese which contains formaldehyde) to add flavour. Soon you will have your children asking for broccoli for dinner.

Finally, if your kids are thirsty, give them water. So many adults do not drink enough water because it is not one of their basic daily habits. The consequences are too numerous to mention. Teach your children to love and appreciate water as the best thirst quencher going and create one of the most important habits for a healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment