Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Weight Loss - "Just Tell Me WHAT to Do and I'll Do It"

"Just Tell Me WHAT to Do and I'll Do It" - if I had a dollar for every time I heard that from a client, I would be rich. However, if I only received payment if it were true and the client actually followed through with this commitment - well, as you can guess that my bank account wouldn't change much.

When people make this statement, I believe they mean it in the moment - I know because I have made that statement too and meant it. But once they find out the what the "WHAT" is in what they have to do, that the conviction wavers. The truth is that the "WHATs" for weight loss are basically always the same. This list you see below is nothing you haven't read before. However, what may happen this time is that you may actually decide to follow through on that commitment.

WHAT is your return on investment here, anyway? I mean, is it really worth it? Let's see, you will get: more energy; a sleeker, hotter body; improved immunity; longer life expectancy; a new wardrobe (for all you shoppers!); and a better sense of self-worth. I'd say that is a pretty good return on investment.

So here is the list of 10 suggestions that you have probably seen before. But before you read on, say this out loud with conviction: "Just tell me WHAT to do and I will do it!!!!" - even if you only do one of these things, that will be progress.

WHAT #1: Exercise 30 minutes 5-6 times a week elevating your heart rate
WHAT #2: Incorporate Weights into your exercise program
WHAT #3: Eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day - at least 3 servings, but 7-10 servings is the recommended daily amount
WHAT #4: Eat raw nuts and seeds daily
WHAT #5: Eat a variety of grains and choose multigrain breads, crackers, etc.
WHAT #6: Use natural honey or natural maple syrup as sweeteners
WHAT #7: Incorporate legumes into your diet
WHAT #8: Keep a food diary of everything you eat
WHAT #9: Limit consumption of alcohol to 2-3 drinks per week
WHAT #10: Avoid or limit all processed, refined, fried and fast foods

Best wishes!!

2 comments:

  1. A food diary recommended by SHAPE Magazine is Little Black Book~Daily Food Diary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy,

    That's a great tip. I will look for that.

    I also recommend the "Diet & Fitness Journal" by Claudine Gandolfi. You can keep a log of your food and fitness. I will find the link for it and post it in my next blog.

    ReplyDelete